Sunday, April 19, 2009

The poetry of memories

I can not recall the first poem I ever heard. This is especially true when you take into account that we are surrounded by poetry from birth forward.

I do have memories involving forms of poetry. One is singing the rhyme "Knick knack, paddywhack" with my father on the way to school when I was in kindergarten.

Another "poem", though it was actually a song, that I have memories of is the song "Delta Dawn" by Tanya Tucker. I knew all the words to the song and would sing it at the top of my lungs while swinging on the swing set in the backyard.

Overall, I while I do tend to mark moments with music, I've never really related the music to poetry per se. I do not feel a connection to most poetry- not all, just some. And with that being said two of my all-time favorite poets are Ogden Nash & Dr. Seuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment