Sunday, March 1, 2009

How to write...

The new question that has been posed is about how to write, or what writing process do I use when I write.

For me, this is a complicated question because writing- just as reading is subjective.

I tend to write from my point of view, or at least in a manner which I hope engages and encourages someone to participate in whatever my chosen subject was- which again is subjective.

When I am writing, I mostly write and edit simultaneously. Now I know this is not always the best way to write, but after years of having to write something more or less off the cuff and have it polished and ready to print/ publish in a very short period of time, you learn to do this.

Of course, I would not recommend this technique to most people. I know that many people do not write the way I do. And, even though I write/ edit together, I still take time to organize my thoughts prior to beginning my writing. Admittedly, there are times that the organization is the hardest part of the writing process. Knowing the points you wish to make, remembering them, and stating them succinctly are key to writing- and then you must add the rules of grammar into the equation as well.

I believe the best thing for someone to remember when they are writing is who they are writing for and what they are trying to achieve with their writing. If you are writing a news article you may need to be more persuasive, especially if the goal of the article is to sell or promote something. If, on the other hand, you are writing for your own personal pleasure or release you might convey whatever your thoughts and feelings are on a particular subject- which in present times equals the incessant blogs and other online forms of communication.

The main premise of all writing is to put your thoughts on the topic in order, whether you are writing, speaking or in come cases just thinking. Everything goes back to how we organize our points of view, which in turn translates to how effective we are at conveying this thoughts & ideas to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment